Monday, February 11, 2013

day 1

I'm never coming back to America.

I've been in Japan a total of 8hrs and I am already in deep love with this country. There hasn't been a single thing that has disappointed me or even been close to a negative. Even getting (feeling) lost on the train was still an amazing experience! There's just so much life and peace here...I wish I could convey it to everyone!!!

I must expand in getting lost on the train, as I'm sure my mother will be anxious upon reading that. I was never 'lost' but just felt lost. I accidentally took the long route instead of the quick route to the hotel from the airport so my 30 min train ride became 2 hrs....but it was awesome!! I got to see the outskirts of Tokyo, all the rice fields, small towns, bamboo groves, and gorgeous architecture. And THAT was my first view of Japan :) Not just instant urban, but the side of Japan that I love learning and reading about. Fortunately, an English teacher was next to me on the train and helped me with the maps once he woke up from his nap, and a very nice Australian man literally knew instantly that I was lost once I got off at my station and got me going to the hotel in no time. Everyone here is nice. Everything is clean. It's unreal.

As for my group there are 11 of us and 2 tour guides. We have Tyler, the main guide, and Andrew who is in training to take over Tyler's job. They've both lived here for years and are incredibly knowledgable. And I think Andrew is enjoying getting to talk to some people who for once know what he means when he references his home of Texas. Our group is mostly older couples or older solo travelers. I'm the youngest and only solo female but have hit it off with the two other younger travelers who have been incredibly welcoming and kind.

We all had dinner at a local izakaya (Japanese pub) which included many dishes of typical bar food. Loved everything I ate and loved the fun carefree conversation even more! After I hit up a convenience store for some tea and a bed time snack, took a relaxing bath, and am sitting in bed letting my hair dry before turning in :)

There is far more to tell than what could fit in a quick blog post, but I must be up early for the Tsukiji Fish Market!! More to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment