Thursday, March 7, 2013

Things that surprised me about japan

1. Everything is detailed

Attention to detail is something that us westerners tend to take for granted.  In Japan it is expected.  As a first-timer to Japan, I was struck by how everything I saw was beautiful.  Even the manhole covers had designs!!

Tokyo Manhold Cover

I mean really!  Everywhere you looked there were gorgeous flower arrangements, beautiful architecture on every building and seemingly nothing was left out of an overall plan.  And if I thought that the urban landscape was beautiful, it did not even compare to the natural beauty of gardens!  In the west, we tend to ignore gardens during the 'dead' seasons of late fall and winter.  But in Japan, every season has a beauty, and that is reflected in the way that the gardens are tended.  It was incredible.

Packaging for every single thing was well thought out, and perfectly fit the product and market that it was intended for.  Food from every level of dining was wonderfully presented and delicious.  Everything.  Was.  Perfect.  Or at least, I thought it was!


2. People care about you, or at least are good at faking it

Early one morning when leaving Kanazawa we were standing in the train station doing a bit of last minute errand running, when the manager from the hotel we had just checked out of came running into the station frantically looking for us.  He had a pair of jeans that one of the members of our tour had accidentally left in their room.  And he had been prepared to go onto the platform to look for us to return them.

In the west, that wouldn't happen.  If you are lucky maybe they will call and let you know that they found them.  Typically not.  But in Japan, people genuinely care about doing the best they can...or are very good at faking that they feel that way.

On more than just that occasion I was struck by people's willingness to try and do the best that they could at all times.  During both of my solo train rides to and from the airport I had random people stop and make sure that I knew where I was going (I'm white, so clearly was a foreigner).  

I desperately appreciated the attitude that Japan has towards others.  And I'm certainly not saying that they are the only people who act that way.  However, in general I notice that us here in the west don't do our best at all times, we let our emotions come through into our work, and generally don't try to fake happy when we have customer service jobs.  I appreciated that other people in the world are trying to do their best..it's a lesson I think we could all learn from Japan.


3. Karaoke is tons of fun

I don't sing in front of other people.  The steering wheel of my car is the only one to ever hear me belt out random songs.  In Japan, that changed a little....


Karaoke is SO much fun, seriously!  And before that trip I was definitely the person who would be the strongest against going, but now I can't wait to find people here at home to get a group together and go.  Can't sing?  Doesn't matter, no one is judging you, and chances are they're singing along too.  Know every word to Disney songs?  Perfect, cause everyone else does too and can't wait to join in!!

If you ever get the chance to go karaoke-ing, do it!  You won't regret!!


4. It's every bit as weird as you think; and they think it's weird too

We all know that Japan is a little weird..ok more than a little.  They have an obsession with robots, maids, and all things over-the-top.  But you know what, they think it's weird too!  Want to go to a dinner theater where girls on robot legs battle dinosaurs?  Yea they have it.  Coffee cafe that has living cats wandering around to be petted?  Yep, have that too.  A massive modern museum dedicated in cult-like fashion to instant ramen?  O yes, it's real...

...and it's wonderful

I love quirky weird things, and Japan does not disappoint.  They like it too!  We tailed our tour leader to lunch one day to a restaurant that was French Noir themed, only served curry, had 'eye of the tiger' playing, and had tom & jerry going on black and white tvs.  Made no sense, but was awesome!

Just turn on todays best J-pop music videos and they've got weird down to a science.  Golden Bomber features their drummer in kabuki make-up, KyaryPamyuPamyu is all kinds of 5 yr old cute but is actually 20, and AKB48 is...well...just go watch for yourself.  Japan doesn't take itself too seriously with these kinds of things, and that lends itself to some awesomely crazy stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment