Friday, January 25, 2013

japan trip: final countdown

Well the date is getting closer, I have 16 days left until I'm on a plane heading for Japan!  It's finally beginning to sink in that I'll be exploring another country soon with people I don't know, and it's only making me more excited.

This post will be a run-through of the cities that I'll be visiting along the trip and a little bit about the things my group will be doing there.  Of course, once I'm home I'll have more detailed info and pictures, but this will give you an idea.

TOKYO

Obviously, we will be spending some time in Tokyo, you can't visit Japan without it.  Full of the 'new' side of Japan, this city is going to be a great starting off point.  We'll get to visit the Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, and Sensoji Temple.  Along with the sites will come the food, and I am determined to get a bowl of real ramen as soon as possible!

I had wanted to visit the Studio Ghibli Museum while in Tokyo, however it's a bit out of the city and tickets must be reserved far in advance, so I'll save that jaunt for another time.


NAGANO

If you watched the Winter Olympics in 1998, you'll be familiar with this area.  This prefecture is the home of the Japanese Alps and host to winter sports galore during winter.  However, our group will be exploring the towns and most of all the Zenko-ji Temple, which we will be staying at while in Nagano.  This is one of the highlights that I am looking forward to the most, as we are allowed to join the monks for morning prayers.  I'm not Buddhist, but being able to witness worship in such a serene environment will be awe inspiring.

Also in this area, we will be going to see the Snow Monkeys!  I'm sure you've seen pictures of monkeys soaking in hot springs during snow fall, and this is exactly where we'll be.  Can't wait for the cute photos!
 

MATSUMOTO

We'll have a quick stop in Matsumoto to visit the 'Black Crow' castle and stroll the old merchant district.  I'm hoping there will be others interested in visiting the Woodblock Print Museum that they have there, as I love traditional art.


TAKAYAMA

This traditional market town is going to be a blast from the past!  The remote town was cut off from westernization and has maintained its traditional ways.  The large market in town will give us an opportunity to see artisan wares, try new foods, and enjoy the culture.  Another highlight in Takayama is the Hida No Sato folk village, which is an open air museum of traditional farm houses.  Also, we'll have tastings at the local sake breweries! Kampai!! (Cheers!)

Our time here will be the first traditional inn that we'll be staying in, complete with floor futons, tamami, and a hot spring bath.  With the winter chill, the idea of soaking in a hot spring sounds perfect.


KANAZAWA

This coastal town is home to one of the top gardens in Japan, which won't be in bloom during February, but in typical Japanese style will still be beautiful and calm.  The samurai and geisha districts here are beautifully preserved and, I'm hoping, will offer great photo opportunities


HIROSHIMA

It goes without saying that this city will be a humbling experience.  The Peace Park and Peace Memorial Museum stand as testaments to the atomic bomb that destroyed all but the bones of a few buildings.  However, this city has rebuilt into a vibrant metropolis that has chosen to strive ahead for the future instead of dwelling on the past.

Aside from the museums we will be able to indulge in the local dish and visit the famous Miyajima Island that is home to friendly deer and the vermillion red floating torii gate.  I'm hoping to get a visit arranged to the nearby Mazda factory and see the production line! I'll have a picture of my car on hand to show and thank the workers for their amazing products.  This city trip will be ended with a bar hop!


KURASHIKI

Taking a break from bustling about the city, this charming canal town will be a beautiful place to unwind and slow down.  In warmer weather our group would bike ride through the countryside and view temples, Buddhist cemeteries, and rice fields.  During winter, a hot green tea along the canal and art galleries are more likely.


KYOTO

CULTUREALERT.  Having been spared from most bombings during WWII, Kyoto is the cultural hub of the country.  With hundreds of shrines and temples, this city will have more culture than I will know what to do with!  I have an entire book dedicated to this gorgeous city, and haven't picked out what I want to do here yet, there are just so many options.  One thing I do know however, is that I would like to look around the Gyon district, home of the geisha.  If you've seen Memoirs of a Geisha then this is the city that the story is based in.


YOKOHAMA

Second city to Tokyo our tour will end here.  Waterfront views along with the Ramen Noodle Museum and Chinatown will be a fun and beautiful end to the journey.


Having typed out all that we'll be doing, I'm finally seeing just how much I'm going to be able to pack into the 14 day trip!  So many cities and towns to explore, so much food to enjoy, and opportunities for adventure everywhere.  Now I just have to wait 16 more days......

2 comments:

  1. WOw! I'm so excited for you to have this experience! How did this come about? What is the name of your group? So, you'll teach and tour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just be spending 2 weeks this trip, it's with a company called InsideJapan Tours. They're very highly rated and a little more 'off the beaten path' than most tourist groups. I won't be teaching while there, that's a separate opportunity that will come later hopefully:)

    ReplyDelete