Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Deuteronomy 22:25-27 -- What God Says about Rape

In light of the recent spotlight on rape culture in the world, I felt it only right that I give my opinion on the topic.  I had originally written a lengthy disjointed rant that ended in calling for Hell to open up and cast fire upon everything..but I felt that may be a bit too harsh and emotion-fueled.

Instead, I did some research on what the Bible says on the topic of rape and how that should be interpreted.  I had attempted some of the same research previously, but never got very far before I became overwhelmed and stopped.  What I've found is vindicating, and certainly shows just how perfect our God is.

Deuteronomy 22:25-27 -
25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

At first glace that passage seems very straightforward.  God commands his people to purge themselves of evil among them, and rapists certainly fit into the 'evil' category.  However, if you have done any Biblical reading you will of course note that in this instance there is no mercy.  Read passages on other sins and in most cases (especially in the New Testament) God has a mericful view of those who commit a sin.  But in this instance? No, no mercy.

One sentence that stands out for me: "This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor."

God views rape the same as he does murderThere is no room for interpretation here, he spells that out right there for everyone to understand.  For me this is a case of deja vu, I had said in a previous post that I viewed rape as the same as murder...and apparently God does too.  You do this, you should die.  End of story.  I'm just going to go ahead and say how much of a badass God is.  And I'm proud that I'm on the same page as him.

Another interesting point to make, no where else in the Bible is rape mentioned in this manner.  It's mentioned as happening, with armies pillaging and raping cities that they conquer, but it is never discussed again.  Even in the New Testament when many of the old laws were discussed and changed around after the death of Christ, this one remains the same.  God only felt it necessary to tell us this once, because there is no re-interpretation for this.  There is no change in how it should be viewed.

Now before I end this post, I will go ahead and attempt to tackle the next verse in that passage.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 -
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN WHAT YOU THINK.

Take into context the culture of the time that this was written.  There had been no feminist movement, women were mostly viewed as being there for breeding.  If a woman were 'unclean' or not seen as anything but a virgin, then she would live in poverty for she could not survive without a husband or male relative to care for her.  And leave it to rape culture to give us victim blaming and the blind belief that a raped woman is a disgraced woman.  That was the same then as it is now.  The passage simply gives a way for a victim to be ensured care for the rest of her life.  It does not mention the fact that at the time a woman's father would have to consent to her marriage, therefore she may not have to marry her rapist.  God was setting up a way for her to be taken care of instead of having to suffer more as a social outcast.  I will again repeat, that it does not mean she would have to go be her rapists 'wife' in the typical sense, but that he will have to provide for her and any children that would come from that assault.

------

I have no problem admitting that my trust in God was shaken from my own experience.  It's difficult to handle that the one who is supposed to look out for you failed at the time when you needed it most.  But having read that passage I do have a sense of peace knowing that my plight was not ignored.  God will handle it, just as he does murderers.  I just have to keep trusting.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Emma. I so admire you for the way you've handled this. I know there must be some really hard times, also. You are a beautiful woman, and I'm glad you've gotten to a good place about God's role in it. It reminds me of a "Touched by an Angel" episode where Monica (angel) is with a Chinese woman who is being beaten by someone in the Chinese government for speaking out. Monica doesn't make it stop, but she puts her arms around the woman and goes through the beating with her (unseen by the government man). Of course, I'd be happy if every rapist was castrated and hung. Then, maybe other criminals would think twice about doing this. I love you!

    ReplyDelete