Friday, July 23, 2010

my career

today while i was waiting for my mom to pick me up for lunch i was talking to the receptionist about school and such. he asked me what i wanted to do with my communications degree that i’m working towards. now this question made me stop and think for a bit. not about what i want to do once i graduate, but whether or not he would be freaked out by my honest answer. i continued on to tell him i will be going into the business sector for my career after college, and decided against telling him my real career goal. why might i shy away from sharing, you might ask? because my life’s career choice is to be a wife and mother. as a 19 year old that may seem like a very distant reality, and yes it is, but to me it’s what i want to do with my life. i am the only person i have yet met or heard of who does not want to have a career, but instead wants to take on a woman’s traditional job of caring for a household.

in today’s society very few women my age feel the draw to fill their traditional roles. more women than ever are attending graduate school, law school, medical school, and choosing to work when they have a family. while yes, sometime circumstances force a woman to work, but i’m not discussing those who are single moms or have financial need. that i understand and of course support. i just find it odd and very lonely to be the only one who wants to spend their days caring for their children and taking care of the home. i don’t want a career in the professional world. i’ll work before i have kids and if necessary later, but i feel that my calling is to do what my mother is doing and what her mother before her did. that’s where i feel that i will fit in in life, and find my true purpose.

sharing this goal is scary for me. most people in the world would find my life choice to be out of character for women today, or too old fashioned. it’s certainly scared off a number of possible men in my life who feel that i have expectations of them that they can not fill. but someday i hope to live it out, and i’ll be thrilled when it finally comes true.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have that same goal Emma! Nice to know I'm not the only one!
    -Katie Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!! i think more people need to have this goal..or at least let it be known that they have it :)

    ReplyDelete